You don't have to live in a monastery, convent or temple to be a modern spiritual contemplative.
The Universalus Interspiritual Community, a radically inclusive non-residential community of women and men is formed to:
1. Provide a supportive, accepting, and affirming environment for individuals who are committed to an interspiritual approach to spirituality, encompassing all faiths and all traditions, and who wish to express their spirituality in a tradition without dogma.
2. Provide service and good works to the community-at-large, especially those who are disenfranchised and marginalized.
3. Promote the healing of the human experience wherein each person may realize his or her unique wholeness and holiness.
The Universalus Community dedicate themselves to let compassion be real among all sentient beings
Universalus members come from all walks of life and may be single, married, partnered, male, female,celibate or non-celibate, students, working or retired, and may or may not be able to make a “full time” commitment to the Community. Our Community does not discriminate in any way, especially in relation to gender, creed, religion, sexual orientation, or cultural background. The Community also does not discriminate in relation to age although individuals must be an adult (at least 18) to join. Because we believe that we are all children of the same Universe, we support one another on our individual spiritual journeys and show the reality of universal love and compassion to the world.
All are welcome to join us in our commitment.
What is encouraged?
As a, you have the support of others who are sharing this path with you. In this connection we develop loving compassion that unifies us as human beings. As Contemplatives we are present to the simplicity of life and continually aware of our our role as earthen vessels for the Universal Spirit.
1. Individual daily meditation
We accomplish a sense of loving compassion through inner awareness by meditative practices. While you are free to choose your particular type of practice, we strongly suggest Zazen practice or Insight meditation daily.
2. Collective meditation and reflection
Coming together for shared meditation and reflection is part of our communal life. Periods of communal meditation will be scheduled and all contemplatives of the Community are encouraged, but not required, to attend if possible.
3. Awareness of, and respect for, the rituals of all faiths.
Contemplatives and Spiritual Affiliates of the Community are encouraged, but not required, to plan and implement Interfaith spiritual events for the edification of the other members and the community-at-large.
4. Willingness to teach
Your particular spiritual journey and/or faith practice has implications for all of us. It is important that we all be teachers and learners for each other. We wish to learn what your individual experience has taught you, so that your experience can teach us.
5. Willingness to agree to group consciousness
Our belief is that the “Universal Wisdom” instructs us through group consciousness. We agree to discuss together our efforts and activities as a community and make many of our decisions based on this Universal group consciousness. See our Resonance Vow.
6. Commitment to honesty and integrity
As members of the Community we agree to always be honest with ourselves and each other, and to act with integrity in all of our actions.
7. Commitment to playfulness, humor and joyfulness
to join us, or have questions, please contact UniversalusMonks@aol.com.